WebinarCare is led by Steve Bennett, a seasoned expert in the business world. He's gathered a team that's passionate about giving you reliable advice on everything from starting a business to picking the right tools. We base our tips and guides on real-life experience, ensuring you get straightforward and proven advice. Our goal is to make your business journey smoother and more successful. When you choose WebinarCare, you're choosing a trustworthy guide for all things business.
When you form a Limited Liability Company (LLC) in Hawaii, you are required to provide a registered office address. This address is the official location where legal documents, such as the service of process, can be delivered. As your business grows, you may find it necessary to change your Hawaii LLC’s address for various reasons, such as moving to a larger space, expanding to multiple locations, or simply changing your Resident Agent.
Changing your Hawaii LLC address may seem daunting, but it can be simple and straightforward with the right information and guidance. In this article, Webinarcare Editorial Team will walk you through the necessary steps to change your Hawaii LLC’s address, ensuring that you remain compliant with Hawaii regulations.
On this page, you’ll learn about the following:
- What is a Limited Liability Company?
- Reasons to Change Hawaii LLC Address
- How to Change Hawaii LLC Address
- Update the Articles of Organization
- Advantages of Changing Hawaii LLC Address
What is a Limited Liability Company?
A Limited Liability Company (LLC) is a specific form of a private limited company that combines aspects of partnership and corporate structures. It is a legal form of a company that provides its owners with limited liability. This means the owners are not personally liable for the company’s debts and liabilities beyond their investments in the company.
When it comes to changing the registered address of the LLC, the responsibility typically falls on the managers or members of the LLC, depending on the company’s structure.
The process is often as follows:
- The LLC must approve the change of address. This may happen at a members’ or managers’ meeting.
- Once approved, the appropriate form or document to effect the change of address must be filed with the Hawaii Secretary of State.
- The filing often includes a small processing fee. After accepting the filing, Hawaii will update the public record with the new address.
In Hawaii, the change of registered address can also be related to the address of the LLC’s Resident Agent. A Resident Agent is a person or entity appointed by the LLC to receive legal papers and service of process on its behalf. This is another crucial role in the LLC that might be involved in the address change, especially if the Resident Agent’s address is used as the business’s official address.
It’s important to note that the specifics of this process can vary quite a bit depending on the Hawaii LLC’s operating agreement and the specific administrative rules and requirements of Hawaii in which the LLC is registered.
Before you change your LLC address, it is advised that you consult with a legal expert. They will be aware of what’s best for you and your business. You can always start an LLC in Hawaii, if you wish to protect your personal assets from business debts.– WEBINARCARE EDITORIAL TEAM
Reasons to Change Hawaii LLC Address
Changing the address of an LLC in Hawaii can be prompted by several reasons, each distinctive to the business’s circumstances and goals. Here are several common reasons:
- Relocation of Business: The main reason for changing an LLC address is the relocation of the business. This could be related to business expansion, more space, or moving to a more convenient location.
- Convenience or Strategy: Sometimes, an LLC might change its primary address for convenience or strategic reasons. For instance, the business might move closer to its customer base or an area with favorable economic benefits.
- Legal Requirements: If an LLC’s legal or Resident Agent changes its address, the company must also change its registered address since the Resident Agent’s location is where all legal correspondences are sent.
- Rental Issues: If the tenant agreement — such as a lease — expires or faces problems, it might compel an LLC to change addresses. Landlord disputes can also lead to a change of address.
- Management Changes: If the management or owner of the business changes and the old address is no longer feasible or relevant for the new management, a change of address becomes necessary.
- Privacy Concerns: Some LLC owners change their addresses for privacy reasons to separate their personal lives from their business activities.
- Cost Reduction: Sometimes, a business may change its address to move to a less expensive area to cut costs.
- Disaster Recovery: In the unfortunate event of a natural disaster or other unforeseen circumstances, such as a fire outbreak or civil disturbance, changing the LLC’s address might be necessary.
- Image and Branding: The business address can sometimes be part of the company image, particularly if the business is in an industry where location matters. An LLC may change addresses in such cases as part of a rebranding effort.
Remember, if your business operates as an LLC in Hawaii, it’s important to update the Hawaii Secretary of State or other relevant state agency whenever you change your business address. It helps to keep your business in good standing and to ensure that all official documents, notifications, and legal correspondences reach you or your Resident Agent.
How to Change Hawaii LLC Address
To change your Hawaii LLC address, you must follow the guidelines that include determining whether you need to change your LLC’s address, update your registered office address, update your principal place of business address, notify the IRS, and inform other relevant parties due to the amendment of your LLC address.
Step 1: Determine If You Need to Change Your LLC’s Address
Before you begin the process of changing your Hawaii LLC’s address, it’s essential to determine whether a change is indeed necessary. In Hawaii, there are two primary addresses associated with your LLC:
Registered Office Address
This is the official address where legal documents and official correspondence will be delivered. If you are starting a business in Hawaii or changing your Resident Agent, you will need to update this address. Changing your Resident Agent is one of the reasons why you need to change your Hawaii LLC address because a Resident Agent should have a primary address in the state your LLC is registered.
An example is having a Foreign LLC in Hawaii; a Resident Agent should have the same address as your registered Foreign LLC.
Principal Place of Business Address
This is where your Hawaii business operates. If you are moving your business, expanding to multiple locations, or changing your business structure, you must update this address.
In some cases, you may need to update both addresses. Be sure to evaluate your specific situation to determine which addresses need to be updated.
Step 2: Update Your Registered Office Address
If you need to change your registered office address in Hawaii, you will likely need to file an address change form with the Hawaii Secretary of State. Below is an outline of the steps:
Obtain the Appropriate Form
Visit the Hawaii Secretary of State‘s website to download the necessary form for changing your Hawaii registered office address. This form may be called “Hawaii Statement of Change of Registered Office” or something similar.
For you to update the registered office address, you need to have the following;
1. Your Hawaii LLC must obtain a Certificate of Good Standing from the Hawaii Secretary of State, confirming that it has complied with all filing and tax obligations in the state of Hawaii.
2. Your Hawaii LLC must conduct a name search on Hawaii Business Express to ensure that its desired name is available for use in the state of Hawaii. However, if you do not wish to file your LLC right away but want to hold the name that you have decided on, then you can reserve your LLC name for 120 days. You must file a name reservation application with the Hawaii Secretary of State to keep the name.
You can register your business under a different legal name if your preferred name isn’t available. Once you have chosen a name, you can submit an application for Hawaii DBA (doing business as). In this manner, you can choose any name you desire for your business. A DBA allows a company to operate under the name of the person or entity who owns it. If you have decided to file for a DBA, you can file it in several methods, online, fax, email, by mail, or in-person.
However, before filing a DBA, you should know that you need to renew your DBA every five years, which costs $50.
3. Your Hawaii LLC should prepare and file the Articles of Domestication with the Hawaii Secretary of State, providing information about its existing Hawaii LLC, its desired Hawaii LLC name, and its new registered office address in Hawaii.
4. Your Hawaii LLC has designated a Resident Agent with a physical address in Hawaii and is available during regular business hours to receive legal and official documents on behalf of the LLC.
In Hawaii, your Resident Agent must:
- Be a resident of Hawaii or a business entity authorized to do business in Hawaii
- Have a physical address in Hawaii (P.O. boxes are not acceptable)
Choosing a reliable and responsible Resident Agent is essential, as failure to receive and respond to legal documents can seriously affect your business.
You can serve as your own Resident Agent or appoint a friend, family member or hire the Best Hawaii Resident Agent Services.
Complete the Form
Carefully fill out the form, providing all required information, including your Hawaii LLC’s name, current registered office address, and new registered office address. You may also be required to provide the name and address of your new Resident Agent if you are changing agents.
Submit the Form
Once the form is completed, please submit it to the Hawaii Secretary of State, along with any required filing fees. You can usually submit your form online, by mail, or in person.
The fees in Hawaii for this process are as follows:
- Certificate of Good Standing: The fee for obtaining a Certificate of Good Standing from the Hawaii Secretary of State is $7.50.
- Articles of Domestication: The filing fee for Articles of Domestication with the Hawaii Secretary of State is $25.00 for conversion.
- Dissolution of Hawaii LLC: The fee for filing the Hawaii Articles of Dissolution with the Hawaii Secretary of State is $25.
Recommended: Dissolving an LLC can be as crucial as forming one. That’s why aside from hiring a Resident Agent, LegalZoom’s LLC dissolution service is significant since it ensures that your company’s closure is handled efficiently, responsibly, and legally, leaving no room for future liabilities. That’s why we recommend –– LegalZoom – Starts at $129 + Filing Fees
Confirm the Change
After submitting your form and other required documents, you should receive a confirmation from the Hawaii Secretary of State that your address change has been processed. Keep this confirmation as proof that you have updated your registered office address.
Step 3: Update Your Principal Place of Business Address
If you need to change your Hawaii LLC’s principal place of business address in Hawaii, you may need to update your business license or other permits, depending on your specific situation. Here are some general steps to follow:
- Contact Local Agencies: Contact the Hawaii Secretary of State that issued your business licenses or permits to determine their specific requirements for changing your address. Depending on your business type and location, this may include city, county, or state agencies.
- Keep Records: Retain copies of any updated Hawaii licenses, permits, or other documents as proof that you have changed your principal place of business address. This may be necessary for future filings, audits, or compliance requirements.
- Update your Licenses and Permits: Follow the instructions provided by the Hawaii Secretary of State to update your business licenses and permits with your new principal place of business address.
Recommended: Empowering your entrepreneurial journey, LegalZoom’s business license service simplifies the process of obtaining a business license in Hawaii, allowing you to focus on what you do best, running your business. Thet’s why we recommend –– LegalZoom – Starts at $99.99
Step 4: Notify the IRS of Your Address Change
In addition to updating your Hawaii LLC’s address with the Hawaii Secretary of State and local agencies, you should also notify the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) of your address change. To do this, follow these steps:
- Complete Form 8822-B: Download and complete IRS Form 8822-B, “Change of Address or Responsible Party – Business.” This form informs the IRS of your LLC’s new address.
- Mail the Form: Mail the completed Form 8822-B to the IRS at the address specified in the form’s instructions. There is no filing fee associated with this form.
- Update your EIN: If your Hawaii LLC has an Employer Identification Number (EIN), you should also update the address associated with your EIN by contacting the IRS via phone, mail, or fax. The specific contact information and instructions can be found on the IRS website.
Recommended: Professional services have the EIN included in their LLC formation package. We recommend using –LegalZoom – ($0 + State Fee for LLC formation)
Step 5: Inform Other Relevant Parties of Your Address Change
To ensure that your Hawaii LLC remains in good standing and that you continue to receive important correspondence, you should also inform the following parties of your address change:
- Banks and financial institutions
- Vendors and suppliers
- Customers and clients
- Utility providers
- Hawaii Insurance companies
- Relevant industry associations or organizations
Update the Articles of Organization
When changing the address of your LLC in Hawaii, one of the pertinent requirements could be updating your Articles of Organization, which is the document initially filed to establish your business entity officially.
The Articles of Organization includes various pieces of information about the LLC, such as its name, primary place of business, and Resident Agent information. When you change the business address, it’s critical to ensure that the details on the Articles of Organization reflect this modification.
The process usually involves the following steps:
- Obtain the Proper Form: The LLC must get the right form to amend the Articles of Organization in Hawaii. This information is typically available on the state’s Secretary of State website or other relevant state agencies.
- Complete the Form: Fill out the form according to the instructions provided.
- Submit and Pay Fees: Once the form is completed, submit it to the Hawaii Secretary of State, along with any necessary filing fees. The fee for the amendment is $50.
- Record Keeping: Keep a copy of the amendment or change of address form for the company’s records.
Remember that the process and requirements for changing an LLC address may vary based on the regulations in Hawaii, so it’s always a good idea to consult with a professional or refer to the Hawaii Secretary of State website for accurate information.
Advantages of Changing Hawaii LLC Address
Changing the address of an LLC in Hawaii could bring several advantages, depending on the specific circumstances and reasons behind the move:
- Business Growth and Expansion: If the change of address is due to the need for more space, the LLC is growing and expanding, which is a positive outcome.
- Access to Resources: Moving to a new location could provide better access to essential resources, such as proximity to suppliers, customers, or a skilled labor pool, enhancing the company’s operation and potential profitability.
- Strategic Benefits: The LLC might move to an advantageous business environment with strategic benefits such as a more favorable regulatory climate, lower taxes, or business-friendly policies.
- Improved Professional Image: Moving to a prestigious business district or a well-known commercial area could enhance the professional image of the LLC and make it more attractive to clients or investors.
- Lower Operating Costs: Changing the address could lower costs if the new location has cheaper rent, utility, or other operational expenses.
- Improved Work Environment: A new address could mean a better work environment for employees, boosting morale, productivity, and, ultimately, the bottom line.
- Enhanced Privacy: If an LLC owner uses a home address as the registered address, moving to a new, separate business address can help maintain privacy and separate personal life from business matters.
While these potential benefits can be compelling, it’s important to remember that changing an LLC’s address also involves informing the relevant government bodies in Hawaii, updating business contacts, and possibly revising marketing materials. LLC owners should factor these considerations into their decision-making process.
Can Form 882-B Be Used to Change the LLC Name?
Form 8822-B, titled “Change of Address or Responsible Party — Business,” informs the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) of an address change for a business or a change in the responsible party. It cannot be used to change the name of an LLC.
To change the name of Hawaii LLC, you must follow the appropriate process in the state where your LLC is registered. This typically involves filing Articles of Amendment or a similar document with the Hawaii Secretary of State. After the name change has been approved at the state level, you should inform the IRS by following the instructions on your tax return or by sending a signed letter to the IRS office where you filed your return.
- Change LLC Address in Alabama
- Change LLC Address in Alaska
- Change LLC Address in Arizona
- Change LLC Address in Arkansas
- Change LLC Address in California
- Change LLC Address in Colorado
- Change LLC Address in Connecticut
- Change LLC Address in DC
- Change LLC Address in Delaware
- Change LLC Address in Florida
- Change LLC Address in Georgia
- Change LLC Address in Hawaii
- Change LLC Address in Idaho
- Change LLC Address in Illinois
- Change LLC Address in Indiana
- Change LLC Address in Iowa
- Change LLC Address in Kansas
- Change LLC Address in Kentucky
- Change LLC Address in Louisiana
- Change LLC Address in Maine
- Change LLC Address in Maryland
- Change LLC Address in Massachusetts
- Change LLC Address in Michigan
- Change LLC Address in Minnesota
- Change LLC Address in Mississippi
- Change LLC Address in Missouri
- Change LLC Address in Montana
- Change LLC Address in Nebraska
- Change LLC Address in Nevada
- Change LLC Address in New Hampshire
- Change LLC Address in New Jersey
- Change LLC Address in New Mexico
- Change LLC Address in New York
- Change LLC Address in North Carolina
- Change LLC Address in North Dakota
- Change LLC Address in Ohio
- Change LLC Address in Oklahoma
- Change LLC Address in Oregon
- Change LLC Address in Pennsylvania
- Change LLC Address in Rhode Island
- Change LLC Address in South Carolina
- Change LLC Address in South Dakota
- Change LLC Address in Tennessee
- Change LLC Address in Texas
- Change LLC Address in Utah
- Change LLC Address in Vermont
- Change LLC Address in Virginia
- Change LLC Address in Washington
- Change LLC Address in West Virginia
- Change LLC Address in Wisconsin
- Change LLC Address in Wyoming
Changing your LLC’s address in Hawaii can be relatively simple if you follow the above steps. By updating your registered office and principal place of business addresses, notifying the IRS, and informing other relevant parties, you can ensure that your LLC remains compliant with Hawaii regulations and continues to operate smoothly.
Remember to keep records of all address changes and any updated licenses, permits, or other documents, as these may be necessary for future filings, audits, or other compliance requirements. And as always, consult with a legal or business professional if you have any questions or concerns about your situation.